The second period has officially started today!
Before introducing my new courses, however, I would like to write a bit about my exam week.
You could have noticed that while I posted 3 writings in September, I barely made it to 2 this months. This is due to the fact that the amount of workload went steep up in the last weeks, and exams were coming. Think whole days spent with learning, throw in a big pot of coffee and you get the picture.
So I’m not gonna lie, this university sets the bar quite high, the workload is very high at the start, gets even more with time, and it accumulates in silence if you ignore it, so a week before the exam you will get a smaller heart attack upon realizing the height (quite literally, when you print everything out and flood your desk with it) of that sneaky pile! Tbh, I was used to a big workload because my home university also has quite high standards, but for someone who is not used to it and wants a chill exchange with parties all week and missing half of the week due to travelling is Maastricht not the ideal choice.
When you are not accustomed to this system, 8 weeks pass so fast, especially when you have a buttload to do, and then suddenly exams will be held in a week, and then you don’t even know where to start. So, future UM students, try to keep up and prepare for every session, make notes, summaries or overviews, decorate your papers with glittery stickers, whatever works for you, but do it, it helps.
All in all, I must say that even though they want you to do a lot, the exams are quite fair, it is clear what you need to learn and what you don’t, and to which extent. Plus, there are usually a bigger assignment or facilitations within each course which make up a big part of the grade as well, so the exam will have a smaller impact.
I had only one exam in Strategic Marketing, which consisted of a multiple choice and an open end question part. As i mentioned, the tasks were fair, and there was absolutely no time pressure. We had 3 hours to complete the tasks and it took me 2 hours to finish and check it 3 times (and drink 1 liter coffee, because why not). For this course, the exam makes up 40% of the overall grade, alongside with the 40% from facilitations and the 20% from participation.
The other course, Birthing New Ventures required case studies prepared and handed in every week, which count for 20% of the final grade, and the remaining 80% was the essay which I think I already mentioned in one of my posts. We needed to choose a biography about an entrepreneur and reflect and apply the theory on it about which we talked during the sessions. This was a fun work for me, entrepreneurship really got me excited and I was interested do the research, and my chosen entrepreneur, Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS, was a very exciting case to handle. This was quite all right to handle with the given literature, and the online university library is also a very big help when it comes to researching papers.
Sadly I had very little time to relax, and I also got sick which is why this post is more informative and less funny, but I will work on that next time when stuff stops running out of my nose.
Until next time!